Writing Tips and Strategies Course
Medicine and Healthcare
Every author’s goal is to explain their work clearly, accurately, concisely, and authoritatively. To write in this way, authors must use a writing style that is appropriate to their field and to the specific readership for a given manuscript—so it has the right “look and feel” recognized by their peers. Authors can also consciously use more than 20 specific writing strategies such as frontloading, endloading, and parallel structure.
In this course, learn numerous valuable tips and cautionary notes about medical English style that will make your text clear, concise, and authoritative. Check how well you can apply more than 20 writing strategies, by answering multiple-choice, matching, and similar question types in practice quizzes. Download quick reference guides and example sentences to help when you write future manuscripts.
About This Course
Focus of study
In this course, you’ll learn many numerous strategies, tips, and cautions that can help you explain your work clearly, accurately, concisely, and authoritatively. Some of the topics covered include
- understanding changes in scientific writing style over the last couple of decades
- using an appropriate, up-to-date writing style so that your work looks authoritative
- Learning to apply 12 strategies to write clearly
- learning to apply 11 strategies to write concisely
- recognizing important considerations when finalizing your manuscript for submission, whether you are editing the final text yourself or receiving help from a coauthor or professional medical editor
Download quick reference guides and resource sheets for future reference in your writing.
Just connect to the internet via any device (ie, a desktop PC, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone) whenever you want to study. All study units are divided into short 10- to 15-minute segments to accommodate your busy schedule. Pause and resume your learning whenever you want; if you stop in the middle of a unit, you can continue from exactly the same place if you resume studying on the same device.
Study every unit in full or focus on particular areas that you wish to know more about. The Roadmap for each unit lets you see the unit goals and main study points at a glance, and you can move freely among the teaching points as you wish.
Each unit in this course contains optional exercises, practice quizzes, and a unit test. Download a certificate of study completion when you pass the unit test to document your learning.
Format of study
- 13 individual study units
- Approximately 18 hours of study
- Optional study unit tests and certificates of completion
- Downloadable Logical Flow Checklist and resource sheets for future reference
- 6 months’ access to all course materials
This writing course contains:
- Tips, cautions, and other important information that medicine and healthcare professionals should know in order to write clearly, accurately, concisely, and authoritatively
- Detailed examples, self-check quizzes, and tests using real medical English
- Resources to download for future use: Quick Reference Guide to Editing Your Manuscripts, Quick Reference Guide to Punctuation, Quick Reference Guide to Verb Tense, and other resource sheets
Purchase this writing course
Price: 18,000 JPY (10% consumption tax to be added for residents of Japan)
Duration of access: 6 months
For groups and institutions